A stroke is a medical condition in which poor blood flow to the brain results in cell death. It is a disease that affects the arteries leading to and within the brain. It is the major cause of death and disability all over the world. A stroke occurs when a blood vessel that carries oxygen and nutrients to the brain is either blocked by a clot or bursts that is breaks. A stroke is a medical emergency, and prompt treatment is very important.
Types of stroke
There are three main types of stroke:
1) Ischemic stroke: It is the stroke which is caused due to lack of blood flow
2) Hemorrhagic stroke: It is caused due to bleeding. Both result in parts of the brain not functioning properly.
3) Transient ischemic attack : It is a warning or “mini-stroke".This causes stroke-like symptoms that resolve within 24 hours. Ministroke doesn't cause permanent disabilities like a stroke.
The loss of blood flow to the brain damages tissues within the brain.
Symptoms of a stroke show up in the body parts controlled by the damaged
areas of the brain.
• paralysis, that is loss of muscle function in part of your body.
• sudden numbness or weakness in the arm, face, and leg, especially on one side of the body
• Speech difficulty ie trouble in speaking ,slurring speech or understanding speech,
• confusion and trouble
• Sudden vision problems, such as trouble seeing in one or both eyes with vision blackened or blurred, or double vision
• Sudden difficulty walking or dizziness, loss of balance or problems with coordination.
• severe, sudden headache with an no cause A stroke requires immediate medical attention. If you think you or someone else is having a stroke act fast to recognize signs of stroke.Call right away and connect with the Doctor because immediate treatment is key to preventing the following outcomes:
• brain damage
• long-term disability
• permanent disability